Birth Story | Little M

I cannot believe it’s been 6 weeks since Little M was born!

I thought it was time to share my birth story about how Little M came into the world.

As you know with this pregnancy I struggled quite a bit with pain and it turns out I had extra fluid as well so my midwife was keen to not let me go past my due date (14th December).

12th December @ 9am:
I had an appointment at the Queen Elizabeth Maternity Unit in Glasgow where we got to see Little M again (this was to check the fluid levels) and then met with a consultant to come up with a plan as to when I would be induced.
We saw the consultant around 11am and discussed our options, it was decided that if Little M hadn’t made an appearance by Friday I would go in at 8pm to be induced. I was also given a sweep, which was so sore!

We then went home and chilled out for a bit.

I was feeling done in, exhausted, in agony and a bit annoyed by how the appointment had went as I really couldn’t cope with this much longer.

C went and picked Mini K up from school and then I decided Mini K and I would curl up in bed, watch a movie and eat pizza while one of C’s pals were up (he was going over the plan for our dog with him for when I go into labour.)

12th December @ 6:30pm:
Myself and Mini K were watching a film (I cannot remember what now!) I was feeling so drained and very crampy. I got up to go to the loo and came back into the bedroom and felt a gush of water – I honestly thought I’d just peed myself! This was of course my waters breaking.

12th December @ 7:30pm:
I phoned the hospital and explained my waters had broken and I was having contractions every 3-4 mins, the midwife on the phone asked me to lie down for half an hour and then get up and walk about for 20mins and then phone back around 8:30pm. So I went to sleep for 30 mins then got up and went for a shower. I also texted my mum to let them know what was happening as they would come up to get Mini K.

12th December @ 8:30pm:
Phoned the hospital ┬áback, by this point I was showered, hair straightened and put a little bit of makeup on and then double checked I had everything in my bags. The midwife asked I come in within the next hour – my labour with Mini K was very quick so they were certain it would be again this time.

12th December @ 9:30pm:
We arrived at the hospital, contractions were still every 3-4 mins. I was put on a monitor for 2o mins and told I was 2cm dilated but they wanted to keep me in – again because Mini K was so quick. So they took us up to the pre-labour ward.

12th December @ 11pm:
We were on the pre-labour ward, there was one midwife on the ward and other nurses. The midwife on that night unfortunalty wasn’t very nice, nor good (turns out she was leaving and this was a common issue with her). She came and took my bloods and then said “right I don’t want to hear from you until your about to push” and then walked out.

During that night my contractions became really intense and were happening roughly every 1-2 mins. I was in lots of pain. I was trying to bounce on the ball, walk about, went for baths – anything to relieve the pain! I was offered cocodamol around 3am but I take a reaction to that so was then told I could only have paracetamol which I took although didn’t want too as I knew it would do nothing.

The Nasty Midwife then said she would come and see me at 6am as that would be 12 hours since my waters broke… 6am came and went.

13th December @ 8:30am:
Finally, after C going out and explaining to the new staff (a shift change had just happened) a new midwife came to see us. She apologised and was shocked I wasn’t offered any other pain relief. She also checked me over and I was still only 2cm dilated.

13th December @ 12:30pm:
Still not getting any further. I was then give diamorphine to help me get some sleep. I slept for 20mins and was then just out my face for a few hours.

13th December @ 3pm:
I went for another bath. Contractions were still happening every 1-2 mins. I was told that at 8pm I would be moved downstairs to the labour ward to be induced.

I was feeling awful. I’d had no sleep and was in so much pain – I just wanted this baby out!

13th December @ 8pm:
8pm came and went. The ward was too busy so they couldn’t take me down yet and I was told to wait. I cried my eyes out as I was feeling done and couldn’t take it anymore. I felt like this was never ending and as much as I tried to keep positive I was starting to become very anxious and stressed.

14th December @ 3:30am:
We were finally moved to the labour ward. This was also the first time that C was offered a cup of tea and a sandwich!
I was put on a hormone drip to move things along

14th December @ 6:30am:
I suddenly got the overwhelming sensation to push – hallalujah!

14th December @ 8:30am:
Still pushing, no baby. Midwife checked me over and I was only 6cm dilated!!!!!!!!

I started to panic and didn’t understand why I was feeling the need to push, there must’ve been something wrong??!!

The midwife went and got doctors to talk about my options – at this point I was sick of everyone saying “oh you had such a quick natural birth with Mini K, you can do it again”

I wanted to burst and start screaming at everyone. Thank god C was there.

C demanded we come up with a plan if baby isn’t here by 12 and thats what we did.

14th December @ 12pm:
Still no baby and I had had my second dose of diamorphine. I ended up getting an epidural – this for me was a big deal. I really didn’t want one as I’d heard so many horror stories (from people I know) plus I didn’t like the idea of not being able to move for hours after the birth.

14th December @ 12:45pm:
I suddenly felt the urge to push again!

14th December @ 1:18pm:
Little M was born!!

I cried so much with relief. Relief that he was safe and well and that it was all over.

This birth was so different from my first – I still feel I could never go through that again but looking at Little M it was certainly worth it.

Overall, the staff at the hospital were fantastic and I’m so glad I ended up taking the drugs I needed too in order for Little M to arrive. I was so stuck in the way of thinking I’d only have gas & air again because that’s how it was with Mini K.

My advice to all expecting mothers – it is all well and good to have a birth plan and but be prepared to change things and don’t be upset or disappointed with yourself if you don’t stick to the plan.

Previous Story
Next Story

You Might Also Like

No Comments

Leave a Reply